1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Pop Door Plan

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cairopd1069, Dec 29, 2010.

1. cairopd1069

cairopd1069 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Cairo, Ga
    I have looked at hundreds of chicken coops to see if I can figure out how to build one of the sliding pop doors with no success. Since I built my own 8x8 without any formal plans you would think I could figure out how to build the sliding door. Does anyone have outside and inside photos or drawings that I could use? I could build one that folds up or down, I just like the sliding type.

2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
  3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I don't have any real good pictures, but here's what I've got on this computer. It's framed with 1 x 2's and then over that 1 x 4's to make a "Pocket" of sorts. A piece of plywood cut to fit a bit loosely, then a eye hook screwed into the center top of the door and a piece of cable ran straight up then through another eye bolt across the ceiling to the outside then through another eye bolt. It hangs down the wall and I have a hook that I pull it down and hook it on to keep it open. Just remove the cable from the hook to close.
    It's hard to explain, but maybe you can tell what I mean from the pictures.

Here's the door from the inside
    [​IMG]

And here is a picture of the outside (Hallway) If you look you can see the cable hanging down in the center of the window and the hook that I hook it to when open on the right side of the window frame.

[​IMG]

4. mississippifarmboy

Quote:Darn feathersnuggles! I never had that happen! I didn't think anyone even looked at my page.
    That made my night! [​IMG]

5. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I've always looked at your page [​IMG] You're one lucky man to have a coop like that [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  6. mississippifarmboy

Quote:awww, thank you!

I'll just be glad if I ever get it finished. I've already been working on it for three years. lol

7. cairopd1069

cairopd1069 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Cairo, Ga
    Thanks, the photos help a lot. I tell myself that I know a little about construction, but the smallest things can baffle me!
    Thanks, again for all the responses.

8. brounii

brounii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
  9. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:Very nicely done. Love your coop and your polish chickens/roosters [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Use sliding drawer runners and an acrylic breadboard...wont hang up as bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by