Chicken Pretending to be Sick???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JudithND, Sep 12, 2016.

1. JudithND

JudithND Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Indiana
    Hello, when I checked on my girls this morning one of them was laying flat on the floor and on her side a bit. She had her head on the floor and the wings were limp. I thought she must be on deaths door. I got her limp body out of the coop and put her in a secluded area. Now, later today she is up and running around. I am not sure what was happening. I have seen that limp behavior before and an hour or so later the chicken would be dead. Can someone help me understand what happened to her?

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    My chickens lay like that when it is hot outside. Yeah, look dead, but actually very relaxed and comfortable. LOL My son freaked out first time he saw it as he thought "dead" but when he approached, she got up immediately. No, don't think chickens pretend to be sick.

And ... [​IMG]

3. JudithND

Jul 6, 2010
    Indiana
    That is really weird. So I really thought she was dying because when I scooped her up with a big shovel she was limp and her head, wings, and feet where just hanging. She had fluid coming out of her mouth and butt as the floor was all wet. When I scooped her up she continued to just lay limp. It is not hot at all. We were in the mid 50's over night.

4. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    You obviously did not have the same experience with your chicken that I had with mine. Definitely sounds like your chicken was sick! So sorry, I don't know. [​IMG]

5. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    They don't pretend. She is sick. Dunno what it is. Wish I could help

6. Melissa Sakata

Melissa Sakata Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2016
    If she had liquid coming out of her mouth, check her crop.

7. kittykat007

kittykat007 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    My chicken is pooping this!? ***? Is she sick?
    [​IMG]

8. JudithND

Jul 6, 2010
    Indiana
    I saw something similar to that on my sidewalk the other day. Not sure what it was.

9. Melissa Sakata

Melissa Sakata Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2016
    It looks like a chicken may have eaten way too much grass. I just had a young pullet with impacted, and then sour crop. It took me 2 weeks of agony to get her off of her death bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by