chicken pricing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gallagher, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Gallagher

Gallagher Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Hi, I was asked by a friend to raise 8 chicks for her. They are now 4 months old and hopefully within the month will begin to lay eggs. I got them as day olds and have fed them only organic mash and they are beautiful and healthy. But I got a bit lazy and stopped keeping track of what I paid for all the shavings, feed and other supplies. Does anyone have a idea of what would be a fair price to charge for these girls? They are Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. Would love a ball park figure. Thanks in advance. gallagher

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    My local farmers sell POL for $10 to $15, year-old for $5 to $10.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:I usually will lose money doing this, but I love to do it, so it's ok.
    If you bought day olds from wherever, they are a few dollars each.
    If you bought POL (point of laying) you'd pay roughly $5-10. each, depending on your area.
    Depends on your friendship. I usually give mine away. A good favor will pay itself back. Maybe.

4. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Pullets @ point of lay around here would be about $25 each (depending on breed of course) but then again everything here is overpriced!

Good Luck!

Trish

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I suspect that if your friend asked you to raise the birds for her, she is expecting to pay expenses. So you'd better figure those out.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I raise and sell POL pullets every year and I cannot do it for a loss. Really crunching the numbers and managing tightly and still I find $13-$14 is maybe breaking even. I really like to fetch $16-$20 for a large body, good layer. She'll lay over 300 eggs her pullet year (ISA Brown), or 26 dozen. At a $1.25 profit per dozen, she'll return $32 to her owner. Getting them to POL is the most costly part!!

If it's friend? Do what you wish. If it is for profit? You have a ton of labor in them. Don't do it for nothing.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Fred's Hens :

I raise and sell POL pullets every year and I cannot do it for a loss. Really crunching the numbers and managing tightly and still I find $13-$14 is maybe breaking even. I really like to fetch $16-$20 for a large body, good layer. She'll lay over 300 eggs her pullet year (ISA Brown), or 26 dozen. At a $1.25 profit per dozen, she'll return $32 to her owner. Getting them to POL is the most costly part!!

If it's friend? Do what you wish. If it is for profit? You have a ton of labor in them. Don't do it for nothing.

I like this answer.​

8. Hiram

Hiram Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    $10-20 for single bird in Atlanta. $5-10 for multi.

9. On such a small scale (raising only 8 chickens) your cost goes up exponentially. If you actually factor in "ALL" your cost for such a small flock you will likely be shocked at the actual cost. Feed & Water, for most people are the only factors included. If you factor in their "housing", "electricity", "hay or straw", "shavings", "treats like scratch or boss or mealworms ect" you can see a truer composite of costs. However, if she is your friend, that is a big factor. And if, like most of us, you would gladly raise 8 chickens for the shear pleasure, then so be it.

I sell my POL girls for $35 per pullet here in San Diego.

Wish you the most profit and even more so the joy of raising your friends chickens!

10. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Quote:Where do you live? The average price for a pullet of those breeds @POL sell for 25-30 each. What you have to think of is the time, money, energy, and love you put into them. To get a good quality chick Im paying 5-7 a piece

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by