1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CHICKEN PRISON

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Araucana Dude, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Araucana Dude

Araucana Dude New Egg

Apr 2, 2009
    Ok I'm new at this but I've read alot of good information on here.

I've built this chicken coup. Then I realized by reading I needed something more.. Take a look. ZAP ZAP!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    oooh, very nice... I was thinking of hooking mine up to the horse fence, but when the doors are closed we don't have any predator probs... Very nice tractor/coop

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

um, what are you insulating the hot wires with? It looks like you just have eyebolts or nails in the wood???? You know when it rains the wet wood is conductive (er the water in it is, but you get the picture) and there is a THREE DAY dry out time before the wood is fully non-conductive again.

That's a LOT of potential fence failure!

You need one like this
    [​IMG]

Or
    [​IMG]

Otherwise it looks like a good set up! Great design and is your ground rod portable?? So you can move your fence along with the tractor? I'm going to make something similar myself.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm concerned too- you need to insulate so that even in wet weather you do not kill your birds, or yourself!

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Well the picture showed the electric fence charger/energizer so they don't have to worry about DYING, but rather the fence would be grounded out and would not shock a predator.

6. RRT114

RRT114 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Pittston, PA
    Yeah thats not going to work. the wire need to be put in insulators as stated above, or it's just going to ground out, and charge the wood with power.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by