Chicken Processing Northern New York

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by gevannos, Jan 6, 2011.

1. gevannos

gevannos Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Hello folks

First post but I've been reading for quite some time now. Seems to be some really knowledgeable folks here.

I live in Saranac, NY (upstate, between Saranac Lake and Plattsburgh) and would love to start raising meat birds for my family in the spring. But I have no interest in processing them. I'd like to start small, maybe 25 birds then move up to 50 a year. My wife and I grill year round and would love to have my own meat. I'm not really interested in pure organic birds but at least knowing where they come from and what they have been eating is interesting to me.

Does anyone know of a processor in northern NY area?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

2. chickenlyn

chickenlyn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Chateaugay
    Hi Eric,
    I just heard of a new Amish processor in or around Constable, which is near Malone. I'll tap some of my Amish sources today while I'm out. There is also a fellow who sells free range meat chickens who has offered to come to my house to help me dispatch a few of my birds, teaching me as he does. That might be easier than transporting them. I have a habit of storing business cards in some random places, so will try to track them down.
    Do the Tedfords still have a store there? Back in the day, they had some awesome meat. If they are still in business, you might ask them for any leads on a processor.

3. gevannos

gevannos Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Sounds good. You're not too far away from me.

The store at Tedford's has been gone for years now. The boys still have the garage but the store is gone.

Constable is not too far, that would be doable. I'm just not too interested in it myself.

Thanks for the info

Eric

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by