Chicken professionals, what gender do these look like to you ?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by connor97, Jan 25, 2013.

1. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

These were all suppossed to be sexed female chicks. Now they are 5-6 weeks old, but some are looking like males to me!

This buff orpington was almost twice the size as my other chicks at only 2 days old. Now at 5 weeks old, it is doing this weird crazy walk thing that none of the others do, kind of the "rooster" dance I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one doesn't act like a rooster as much as the buff orpington, but it stands way taller then the rest which makes me think it could be a rooster. It is a easter egger, 6 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly my 6 week old barred rock. I started thinking it was a rooster when it was about 3 weeks old, I posted a picture of it on here then and many people also thought it looked like a rooster. Now it is starting to act more like a pullet but I thought I'd post pictures just to double check.

[​IMG]

Sorry for so many pictures, just thought I'd give you a lot to look at so you could get a better idea of what they look like. Thanks for the help !

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    thats tough to look at them at a very young age ! I have one chick is fooling me right now. He is a rooster, he is half orpington and silkie. he is now 3 and half months old. He looks and act like a lady until I caught him mating my hen !
    [​IMG]I am hoping yours are all hens ! let us know as they get a little older.

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Buff Orpington - appears to be a pullet at this point.
    Easter Egger - is a pullet. Only females have that coloration. Males are blotchy and contain flashier colors.
    Plymouth Rock - is a pullet. Once again, only females have that coloration. With barred birds the females have larger black bars, the males have larger white bars.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I agree with RhodeRunner. I had a Buff Orpington hen that had a huge red comb. So you can't always go by comb size alone. :thumbsup

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    All look like pullets at this point. Orps can be slower maturing and that bird does look to have thicker legs, so it's the only one I'd worry about. The other two are definate hens.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    all look like pullets...you sure thats an ee and not a golden campine

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    All pullets.

8. modchicken

modchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2012
    I'd say all pullets but watch the OP... Pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by