Chicken prolapse

LeonieV

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2016
Hello, my chicken Goldie has a prolapse. I've separated her from the others but the problem is I can't seem to get the prolapse or her underside clean. I've tried bathing her but she gets very distressed and I've tried wiping but it's white crusty stuff that won't come off! Thank you for your help.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about your hen!
hugs.gif
You will need to soak her bottom good and get all the crud off of her. Use a mild detergent like Dawn or something in warm water. Usually if you put them in warm water they do relax a bit. She may not like it, but she needs to be clean.

And it all needs to go back inside her before it becomes too swollen to get back in. Use Prep H on the entire thing and push it back inside, directly straight back. Put more H all around her vent area. If you need to trim back feathers, do so. And keep checking and pushing it back in each time it comes out.

Then keep her separated and inside the house or in the barn away from the others in a very clean dry place. Make sure her bedding stays very clean or even use towels as you don't want crud going back inside with her. Keep her in low light, just enough to see and eat. And only low light for about 8 hours a day. What this is going to do is either send her into a molt and make her stop laying and or shut her laying machine off. You can't let her lay until this heals or it can kill her. So low light for about 8 hours a day, the rest of them complete darkness.

And no other birds with her as they can peck and kill her with her insides hanging out. This can take several days to a week for the swelling to go down and for it all to stay inside of her. I would feed her every easy to digest foods and offer up vitamins as well. Calcium too. The vitamins will help her keep it inside too.

Good luck and I hope you can get this sorted out soon!

Thank you so much, I will have another go at bathing her in the morning - she'll just have to learn to enjoy bathtime!

Compromised with a warm, wet flannel and now she is clean at least! Tried putting prep H gel on and to push it back in, but it wouldn't go and hurt her
1f622.png
will try again later today

By now it is no doubt too swollen to be put back in. Is she pooping? Because prolapse can prevent pooping. If it stays out too long, she will probably need to be put down unfortunately. These things need to be put back in as soon as possible after the fact. At least within the first 24 hours. If it won't go, don't force it and hurt or injure her. I am so super sorry.

She is pooping and eating and drinking all normally, seems fine apart from the prolapse! I've read that honey might help?

She is pooping and eating and drinking all normally, seems fine apart from the prolapse! I've read that honey might help?
Try everything at this point. The only thing I have ever used is Prep H. Some have used Witchhazel? I am just not sure. But anything to get it back in. The longer it hangs out, the bigger it's going to get. Good luck! :)

Have just used sterex - a mixture of aloe vera witchazel and lemongrass I think, and up it went! Now hopefully it'll stay up...

Back
Top Bottom