Chicken Prolapse

McChicken lover

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
I just wanted to post a massive thank you to everyone for their advice. I had a hen with rectal prolapse, following a bout of diarrhoea just before New Year. The hen (called Star), has been well & her usual self throughout this whole incident & am so glad that she is well again, and we have not had to cull.

I followed various advice that has been posted & this is what worked for us;

Bathed the hen, trimmed all her rear feathers, as these were full of poop & kept her in a warm dark quiet box overnight, making sure she was nice & dry as it's winter here, before popping her back in a pen on her own. Put pile cream on her backside & gently pushed the prolapse back in.
Repeated this process every 2-3 days for about 2 weeks. Swapped to honey which seemed to work better - I don't think that this made the swelling go down, but I think it acts like a barrier, and stops any infection. Gradually she has gone on to weekly baths - just to keep her clean. We will still be keeping an eye on her - but this fab advice was what helped us get through it - and I'm very grateful to everyone for their help!

i am so glad to read this. i have a hen that this just happened to yesterday. the prolapse was huge. i gathered her up and she is now in a pet crate in our bathroom, i cleaned her up last night and today she looks so much better. i let her have some light to eat and drink and then cover her up again. using warm water, witch hazel, and then coated with honey. i am a new chicken owner (about 2 years?) and never had this happen. she is so sweet. i hope she makes it.

I suggest treating with antibiotics. I had one who started recovering, but she had an internal infection, I didn't start the antifiotics in time and she and didn't make it. Duromycin is available at feed stores and some pet stores. Search here for dosages and info on administration.

Back
Top Bottom