Chicken Prosthetic

IamCemini

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 21, 2017
Hello,
I have an Ayam Cemini chick of 3 months. She hatched as a normal, healthy chick. However, at about 2 weeks, she began developing crooked toes. Even though we provided her with a boot, her toes continued to weaken. Eventually, her legs splayed. Now, she has an inverted knee, crooked toes (All 8), and splayed hips. One of her legs went dead the other day (I accidentally ran her bath water way too hot and even though her right foot was knee-deep, she couldn't tell). Other than her legs being dysfunctional, she is a completely normal, sassy, opinionated hen. She eats and drinks normally, and does her best to hobble around (She does a pretty good job of it). I know I will have to get her right leg (And eventually her left) amputated. I have been looking EVERYWHERE for prosthetic chicken legs and have contacted 10 animal prosthetic design teams, but have come up dry. I've been looking for whoever designed the prosthetic for the hen who's been in the news (Cecily), but again, have come up dry. Can anyone help?

Sorry you're having this trouble! Out of curiosity, what are you feeding her? I've heard of these types of things happening because of a nutritional deficiency. If you can correct that, if that is the cause, it would at least stop these issues, and maybe even reverse them.

As far as a prosthetic, you might look into having someone 3D print something for you, if it does come down to that. The people over at reddit.com/r/3dprinting have done similar things for ducks in the past. Wouldn't hurt to post there and ask.

Thank you Pyxis, but her food is the exact same as the others, including her half blooded brother who is perfectly normal. This condition has been diagnosed at the NC state veterinary campus as being genetic.

Back
Top Bottom