1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sherrihargrove, Mar 12, 2015.

1. sherrihargrove

sherrihargrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    My black australorp is pulling out her feathers on her back. does she need a psychiatrist or is something else going on with her? Any ideas. I treated her raw back with pick no more just to cover the pink skin but I am lost as to why she is doing this and I saw her doing this so I know she isn't being picked on. She just started laying in the last week too.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Do you have a cock bird? Bare backs are usually from over mating.

3. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    My wife noticed the same thing on one of our girls yesterday. We don't have any roosters, so it's definitely from picking.......

They get basic layer feed, plus table scraps for treats....rice, potatoes, lettuce, etc

any suggestions would be appreciated.

4. sherrihargrove

Oct 17, 2014
    they were not together for the last 3 months. he has been in a different pen.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Do a thorough bug check. Ripping out one's own feathers is a sign of irritation. It could also be a mini-molt coming on, but that is not likely at this time of year.

6. sherrihargrove

Oct 17, 2014
    should i cover her in seven dust?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by