chicken psychologist needed for imprinted rooster!!

pipthepeep

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
I have a rather unusual problem. My roo is about 14 months old, and is extremely imprinted on me....I hatched him from an egg after his mom got stepped on by a horse while he was pipping. It used to be cute, but his obsessive rooster behavior is driving me crazy! The problem now is that my imprinted guy literally crows the second I leave him and crows all day until I am back and spending time with him. The second I let him out of the dog run he lives in, he runs up two steep flights of steps to my deck. When I go inside, he jumps up and down in front of my window and crows and bangs on the glass!! He does not crow at all when he is hanging out with me...in fact, as I type this, he is sleeping in my lap on the deck, quiet as can be:(

I have tried introducing a few hens to him before (slow introduction, through chicken wire at first)...but even after a week and a half, it was basically a disaster...I am thinking about trying him with some hens again because he has been exhibiting some mating behavior with my running shoes, so maybe this time it will go better? He is such a considerate roo...always finding me bugs, and making me nests....I am hoping he will be just as nice to some chicken ladies? Over time, do you think this would stop his incessant crowing/crying? Short of quitting my job and spending all my time rooster-sitting, I just don't know what to do!! I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with imprinted birds....

OK, in my opinion, this is kinda cute. MANY roosters are real horse's behinds so it's nice to hear about a sweet one.
I would try putting him with hens again-he'll get the hang of things.
Right now, he thinks YOU'RE his hen.
smile.png

I don't know what to tell you but that is the sweetest rooster story I have ever heard. What a good rooster mom you are. I hope you can find a solution. But that is awesome.
thumbsup.gif

hehe thanks, people always tell me I should write a book about him:) Hopefully if he actually manages to discover actual hens of his same species, he won't turn all rooster on me and get mean! right now, I just have to find a way to stop the non-stop crowing...before it drives everyone else crazy (and actually me too!)

Hmmm... instead of just sticking him in with the hens, I would go walking around inside the chicken pen with him trailing. Throw out treats so he can find them and call, and he'll see the hens come running. As he starts to interact with the hens, gradually sneak further away across the pen, and for longer times. Don't try to make him go "cold turkey", but gradually wean him off your presence. Hopefully his instincts will awaken at some point, and he'll wander off with the girls...

(Yeah, and that's the cutest rooster story ever! Breed that one, he's domestic as all get out!)

love.gif
I have an imprinted roo too! Headwig is his name and I have not got as bad of an issue as you but he is under my feet all the time! I have to pick him up just so I don't have to worry about stepping on him!
fl.gif
He will ride on my shoulder or cuddle under my chin!
gig.gif
He actually rubs his head under my chin and makes a clicking kind of noise! I love him but when I have to run so he doesn't follow me back to the house it gets a little old! He also loves my 95 pound black lab. as seen by these pictures! Good luck with your little man!
bun.gif
88240_dsc01009.jpg
88240_dsc01026.jpg

Thats a good idea...maybe once he sees that I get along with hens, he will understand that they are not the enemy! thanks:)

haha Headwig is so cute! how old is he? he looks pretty young still...you might have to deal with his constant crowing yet!! When I try running to get away from my Roo before he notices that I am gone, he just thinks I must be running from danger and picks up the cue and runs along with me....sigh:(

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
pipthepeep please stop making me laugh
gig.gif
gig.gif
. I am laughing so hard I even have to go back and correct my spelling after wiping the tears off my face.
gig.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Good advice there. I had the problem for awhile with TJ, a young cockerel that is out of my great roo Thor. I practiced tough love with TJ, ignoring his begging for attention. He got over it and is now harrassing the hens instead.

Back
Top Bottom