Chicken Psychologist Needed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicklette 1, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I have 9 hens, all laying. I have 8 nesting boxes in my coop. Can someone tell me why I find 6 eggs all in one box and maybe one here or there a couple of nests down ? I'm starting to use the other nest boxes for storage and in my new coop with my new batch of 8 chickens, I am only going to put in 3 nest boxes and one of them will be a double size. They try to knock each other out of the one nest box!

2. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Chickens love to nest together.
    We now wish that we had built one long communal nest.
    I often find hens stacked on top of each other in their crates [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just as the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, the nest box that Susie, and biddy, and becky, and bertie and boopy use is better than the one that razzie uses.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am not sure why hens like to all use the same nest, but I do know that it is completely normal. Three nesting boxes for 8 to 10 hens is more than enough. I don't think that I would bother to make one double sized. The odds are that they won't like that one. I think it is normal for hens, and kind of a monkey see monkey do, when they are vying for the same box.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

That's simple. Would you sit on the cold toilet seat, or the warm one? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Depends on who sat there before me.[​IMG] Maybe I'd opt for the cold one.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] Chickens are big copycats. They want whatever the other girls are eating, or drinking, or whatever. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think it's the same reason that you can put rubber eggs in the nest boxes to encourage them to lay in the right place. If there's already an egg or eggs in one box, that's a sign to the rest of them that it's a good safe place to lay. I have three nest boxes in my coop and I usually get 8+ eggs in one of them and only one or two in the other ones. Similarly when they lay in the straw out in our big shed, I usually find a whole pile of eggs stashed in the one place.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yep. And there's always a favorite box that they all want to lay in. It's usually not a problem until you get someone that goes broody in the favorite box!

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    They may be trying to cuckhold each other. When my game hens start laying, some will often lay eggs in another bird's nest. It is a way to have others raise some of cuckholder's chicks thus allowing cuckholder to produce more eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by