chicken psychology/rooster ostracizing hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heidina, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Heidina

Heidina Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Plymouth, MA
    I have 4 RRs, 3 leghorn and 1 mutt hens and a leghorn rooster who is the dad of 3 of them. For the past few days he has been shooing one of the white hens back into the coop as soon as she comes out in the morning. It appears she's in detention of some sort. If she so much as pops her head out of the coop, he chases her back in so she forced to roost all day in the top far corner.
    Nobody's pecking her or anything.
    Anybody have any idea what's going on?

2. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Just bumping your post up. I have no idea- but it sounds funny to watch. [​IMG]

3. Heidina

May 5, 2008
    Plymouth, MA
    Thanks for the bump. It really is interesting, and if we'll ever get an answer, it'll be here! [​IMG]

4. Heidina

May 5, 2008
    Plymouth, MA
    Seems the old gal has out lived her usefulness. This behavior is very interesting, as, if we don't let her out free range, she wouldn't get food and water. Guess it's time to eat her.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Is she possibly ill? the roo might sense that...

"Seems the old gal has out lived her usefulness"
    What, is she old and not laying anymore?

6. Heidina

May 5, 2008
    Plymouth, MA
    Chicken wisdom - she was the oldest, and had been top of the pecking order for some time. The carrying capacity of our coop is around 9, and they starved her out, started pecking a few days ago.. We killed her today and will have coq au vin. From here on, we will respect the wisdom of the flock, and take action sooner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by