1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken psychology

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stephen.williams, Jul 24, 2008.

1. stephen.williams

stephen.williams Out Of The Brooder

My chickens like to sleep in the lit section (street light) of there run but I dont like them sleeping there because i think the elements will get to them ( rain etc). They have a nice little area under cover where they can roost but they wont go there by themselves. I literally have to pick them up and carry them each night. They stay there once there.
    Should I be worried where they decide they sleep or is there a way I can incourage them to sleep where I think they should slepping??

2. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I don't know-I have 3 Amerecaunas and 2 turkeys I have to tuck in every single night-all the others go to bed on their own [​IMG]

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I used to have some young roos who preferred to sleep on top of their coop rather than inside. I would come out just after roosting time and sprinkle them with the water hose. It was warm weather so there was no problems. But they decided they didn't like sitting up there in the "rain" and would go in to keep from getting wet. I had to do this several times, but I finally trained them to sleep inside. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I would think if it got to the point that the elements made them uncomfortable, that they would move. Then again, chickens aren't known for being the sharpest knives in the drawer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by