Chicken puffed up on roost, sleepy-looking during the day -- EYP? See photo for egg yolk in dropping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DownwardDog, Nov 16, 2014.

1. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2012
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

Is this egg yolk peritonitis? This is from my 1.5 year old Speckled Sussex that hasn't completely finished molting yet, though she's close. She has been puffed up for the 2nd day in a row now (it's been in the '20s here), and today she spent most of the day on the roost, puffed up and sleepy looking. Her vent looks normal, but her butt feather look like they had egg yolk on them and it looks like there's egg yolk in her droppings (above). Is this egg yolk peritonitis and not egg binding? I'm worried she'll succumb to infection -- is there anything I can do???

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible that it could be internal laying or EYP. I would deworm her with Valbazen while she is still molting, and continue to watch her droppings to see if this continues, or if she resumes laying. Dosage is 1/2 ml given orally, then repeat in 10 days. Whenever you suspect egg binding, you can slip on a rubber glove and insert a finger 1-2 inches inside the vent for an exam. Here is a link for the Valbazen: http://www.kvsupply.com/valbazen-su...6&cadevice=c&gclid=CJu08KKJgsICFSgQ7AodrzgAMA

3. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2012
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    UPDATE: I noticed a skinny egg on the poop board close but not directly underneath her, so I suspect it's hers. Is this a good sign?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by