Chicken puffed up, pale comb and noticed green poop near vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Marleeni, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Marleeni

Marleeni New Egg

Dec 12, 2011
    This is my little four year old broody hen. All of a sudden she looks horrible, puffed up, pale comb, lite greenish poop around the vent, eating little and acting lathergic. I also noticed she has black scaled on her legs. I put her in the other end of the coop and placed a heat lamp on her. I live in Mt where it is around 20 today. Anything I can give her? Natural cider? Please help or I could lose her. Thanks!

2. sgd

sgd New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    Hey

Could be a Salmonella infection. If she continues to have green diarrhea, with gray or purple comb not really eating, sitting around. Penguin like posture . Not her self.
    I would guess thats it. Take her to the vet if you want, but I have never had a hen come back from a Salmonella, Do not let her suffer . Chances are she's been sick a while.
    Chicken try hard to not show weakness , they hide that there sick. Sorry but she hurting.

Best to you. Spencer

3. Marleeni

Marleeni New Egg

Dec 12, 2011
    I am giving her a shot at recovery. I gave her a tiny amount of oil essential, lemon and frankenscence, and herbal salve on the legs. She is under the heat lamp. So I will give her 24 hours to see if she shows any sign of improvement. I don't see how she could get salmonella, when all the rest are fine. I checked her butt good and just a little green on the feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by