Chicken Pulling Bum Feathers Out..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dondon, Jul 22, 2010.

1. dondon

dondon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    nottingham
    [​IMG] Hello people i wounder if you can help me iv had my chucks for 5 wks now and my buff orp started laying a bout 2wks ago but now she has been acting a bit different and started pulling her feathers out!(her bum) i know they do this when broody but she not staying on the nest box and isnt she to young anyway due to her just starting laying she kind of growls/perrrs too when i go to the coop...any answers please [​IMG]:confused:..ps. im from nottingham,England is there anyone else from my area because i cant seem to find anyone..[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well hello!

Buff Orps are a highly broody breed of chicken, but if she's not staying in the nest box, then she probably isn't broody. I would look her over real good to make sure she doesn't have any mites or lice. Sometimes it's hard to tell....check her vent area for some creepy crawlies.....

Good luck!

3. dondon

Jun 18, 2010
    nottingham
    we looked yesterday for mights n things but couldnt see anything,but i will check again today to make sure..she is pulling them out below the vent and theres a bold patch now!...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  4. dondon

Jun 18, 2010
    nottingham
    right iv been out to check for mights again and iv spotted a tiny blackish bug near her vent and also she has got brown dry stuff stuck to her underside! iv just dusted them all with D.E hope that works THANKS sharon......dondon:)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by