1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken purring

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HOTONE, Oct 3, 2012.

1. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    This may sound like a stupid question but I have a pet feather foot and she usually comes walking thru the door looking for me. I was petting her in her sleeping box and all of the sudden she started what sounded like a purring noise. Exactly what is that noise...is it good or bad. I would appreciate the help...thank you

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I had a chicken that did that sometimes. It means they are happy [​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have hens with different responses that show contentment. There's the "purring" sound many make when snuggled in my arms. Another hen, a Speckled Sussex, makes a "chook, chook, chook" sound deep down in her belly and it rocks her little body like an old Ford Model A. My Brahmas make a kind of low squealing. Those are just a few. But there's little doubt what the noises mean.

4. they do this when they are happy and content. Here are my girls singing last winter. They sound so funny.

5. yammafarmer

yammafarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    My silkie, Fancy Nancy, purrs at night when she's falling asleep.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, it's their happy sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by