Chicken questions

New Momma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014

We bought some red pullets from tractor supply (We do not know what they are Do you guys?) Anyway Is it normal for chickens to have little spiky looking Quil things on the top of their wings (Sorry if I am such a Newbie) Is this them growing in their feathers? And We dont need a rooster right? Not for just eating the eggs. like i said sorry if im such a newbie!

By the way guys this is just the box i had them in while changing their brooder shavings out dont worry they aren't always this cramped :)

We bought some red pullets from tractor supply (We do not know what they are Do you guys?) Anyway Is it normal for chickens to have little spiky looking Quil things on the top of their wings (Sorry if I am such a Newbie) Is this them growing in their feathers? And We dont need a rooster right? Not for just eating the eggs. like i said sorry if im such a newbie!

My guess would be New Hampshire red. Not dark enough to be Rhode Island reds.
The feathers come out of quills so that is completely normal.
A rooster isn't needed to get eggs. But a rooster is the first line of defense for your hens. They will sound a warning when they see danger and they will try to protect the hens.
And being a country girl, I love to hear a rooster crowing.
yesss.gif

Quote:
Thanks! I am so glad I have these questions answered Thanks Mate

I got my new chicks from TS too and have been wondering the same thing. Most of mine look just like yours but I have one that is darker and has spots on the wing feathers.

Back
Top Bottom