Chicken quirks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kuhnse51, Dec 10, 2014.

1. kuhnse51

kuhnse51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    I have 2 silver spangled hamburg pullets (about 12 weeks) named Kiki and Riki. They are named after a foreign fast food chicken place called Pollo Kikiriki. They are normally hanging out with each other all the time, too. Anyways, anytime they try to come hang out on my lap (or my back), or anywhere else the other chickens are, they can't just jump on me or wherever. If they jump anywhere they HAVE to land on top of another chicken thats there (or my head lol). It is the funniest thing. Although the chicken they jump on doesn't find it funny, I do, unless its my head. Do your chickens have any funny chicken quirks?

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    lol, that hilarious :) i bet those chickens that are being jumped on are not laughing. :) I like their names, its cute :)

my favorite little bantam cochin hen named kori (japanese for ice, though her full name is kori no kage, shadow and ice...don't ask, its a weird name [​IMG]) anyway, when ever she sees me, she comes running and jumps in my arms, but sometimes, she miss ccalculates and smashes into me before she can jump. [​IMG] its pretty funny.

3. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    Haha I can just picture that happening in an almost cartoon like way :p

4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    lol :)

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Those are cute names. Did you know that Kikiriki is cock-a-doodle-do in Spanish? So I am guessing that the restaurant name would be pronounced with the rhythm of a rooster's crow.

I have one Brahma hen who sounds quirky. Her little chatting isn't really clucking, but sounds more like squeak, squeak-honk.

6. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    @Scratch Haha I was not aware that's what Kikiriki meant but that's nice to know! Ahh I love brahmas they're so interesting! I have 6 almost 13 week old brahmas and they're quickly becoming some of my favorites! Do you almost think you have a goose mixed in with chickens sometimes :p

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Ha, I make fun of my cute Brahma hen by saying "squeak-honk" to her. But she will never be as loud as my geese ; )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by