chicken quit layin

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by conwaymomma, Jan 26, 2009.

1. conwaymomma

conwaymomma New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    I got two girls, 1 Rhode Island Red and 1 New Hampshire Red, back mid summer that were both laying. When we got home, I expected to wait a while for them to learn their surroundings before laying but they started right up. About three months after getting settled in one of the girls, Penny the NHR, decided she wasn't going to lay anymore. Now she looks like the other girls are pulling her feathers out around her neck. What's the deal?

I have one Rhode Island Red "Ruby", one New Hampshire Red "Penny", and two little game hens "Tuesday and Sweet Peep".

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Sounds like she's going through a molt . Be prepared not to have eggs for awhile , last time all but 5 of mine went through it and it took almost 3 months . It usually takes less though....mine were just stubborn I guess .[​IMG]

3. conwaymomma

conwaymomma New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    Is it common for chickens to quit laying in Winter? My girls are mostly outdoors in a coop but they have a warm house they get in at night. I haven't collected any new eggs for about 3 weeks now, being that I live in Alabama, we just started getting some cool days. I started them back on Starter Grow instead of Layers Pellets too, any advice?

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I have a question. My columbian wyandotte which is about a year and 1/2 old stopped laying around 4 months ago? My question is, will she start laying again? My daughter-in-law says that this is normal, and her cycle is just that, taking a break from laying eggs. I'm sure its hard on the system to be laying all the time. Just hope she starts again. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

5. McChix

McChix Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Don't worry - chickens take a break from laying when there are fewer daylight hours, and also when they are molting. My Ameraucana started molting in August and after 5 months I had just about given up hope on any more eggs from her, but last Sunday she surprised me with a beautiful green egg! I told my DH that she's a good Scottish chicken and started laying again in honor of (Robert) Burns night! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:depends on the breed of chicken as I have orps and they lay year round..unless...they are molting. Most chickens take the winter off so to speak, they will start again.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

thanks everyone. I sure hope she does soon. I don't know if its the breed that she is, or just like you both said, some chickens take a lot of time off! [​IMG]
    Barbara

8. conwaymomma

conwaymomma New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    It sounds like my girl is going through a molt. I appreciate all of the comments. Right now all of my girls are taking a break from layin, hopefully come spring they'll all surprise me with a bunch of eggs.

9. Nancyjane

Nancyjane Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    McChicks, Thanks for the reminder of Robert Burns Day! How could we forget?!?! ACHHHHHHH, but we did!
    Do you also celebrate (remember remember) The 5th of November? Guy Fox Day? We save some of our fireworks to let off in November!
    To keep on topic, we never let our fireworks off anywhere near the chickens! Might spook them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by