Chicken quit laying. Stressed out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cupman, Sep 9, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I used to let my birds free range all day but I lost maybe ten birds over a two or three day period. I built them a huge run, like 2500 square feet, but they still pace the fence looking for a place out. My white leghorn used to plop out an egg about every day or at least five days a week. Ever since putting her in the confined run and not letting her out I have not seen a single egg from her. She is 16 months old and the weather has been fair, usually in the 70s or 80s. Could it be the stress of not having access to her old nest that has caused her to stop laying? That is the only thing I can think of. Any ideas?

2. ChickenGirl22

ChickenGirl22 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Stress and environment change can both have an effect on egg production in my experience. It could be that the change from free range to a confined space takes some getting used to. It could also be that this is only part of her egg cycle and she will begin laying in a couple more weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about it at the moment. She'll probably be fine, just give her a couple weeks.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. Probably stress. Has the weather been hot/cold recently? that could do it too.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's about that time of the year for molting. Could that be a possibility?

Imp

5. pollitaroja

pollitaroja Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Tampa, Florida
    My silky stopped laying. 1st when I put her in closed doors. 2nd when the newbies were added, after a week she is back at giving nice medium size eggs. They stop at changes/any change whatsoever small

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Give them time to adjust. Make sure their diet is top notch, and bring them greens to eat. Cabbage, kale, spinach, cooked beans are things you can add to their diet. Never hurts to add a 'toy' that will dispense scratch feed-a plastic bottle with holes will give them something to peck at. And make sure they are not eating their eggs.

7. chickendenny

chickendenny Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Silex, Mo
    I have 13 hens, 8 are laying age, I know this because they where from the place I got them.. the other 5 will start in the middle of Oct. My Question is they where free range chickens at the place I bought them,, I know have them in a pen that is 20x20 with a super large coop. lots of roosting area's and nesting boxes.lots of food and water and great ventilation, in fact I think it is a better environment then where they came from but is it possible that reducing them from free range to an enclosed area has brought them stress plus the move but to the point that they are not laying, well I get one egg a day. please help if any suggestions..I would free range but I raise Rottweilers and they run free also. probably not a great combo.

8. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They have had a lot of changes to go through, new home, loss of free range, the dogs running around outside. It will take them a while to settle in and get comfortable and lay well. Not much you can do but wait it out.

9. chickendenny

chickendenny Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Silex, Mo
    Thank you everyone for your input. sounds like waiting it is.. took some pics today of the area. and the coop[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by