chicken racism??? Please helpl

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom'sfolly, Apr 19, 2007.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I had three pullets and last Saturday added a new bird. They first birds are two EEs and one red sex-link. The new girl is a golden comet/red hi-line. They were all in the same pen but separated until the new girl decided she was lonely a flew over the barrier to meet her new friends. Now my little flock seems to consist of two pairs; EEs and red hens. Is this normal? They are out in the grass now sleeping in a gold pile and a red pile. Will they reintegrate when the pecking order is all sorted out? The original red hen was Boss Chick, but the other red is older and may come out on top. Do I need to worry? Silly birds![​IMG]

Karen

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It's most certainly normal...
    Speckledhen has a picture of her birds on the stairs and they've all broken down into their breeds...they did it by themselves, noone moved them there.
    If there's been no fighting, the pecking order's already sorted itself out.

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    [​IMG] Can't wait to see how my 18 different breed peeps (girls) will sort themselves out!! [​IMG]

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It's funny, isn't it? "Birds of a feather flock together!" True for both humans and chickens!

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:Our flock consists of 1 each of 19 different standard breeds. There are a couple that forage out by themselves and hang with a crowd in the hen house. Others prefer to forage with a group.

Our Jersey Black Giant hangs out with the White Faced Black Spanish; the Buff Orpington and Columbian Wyandotte are inseparable, the Ancona and Golden Laced Wyandotte are always gossiping together, and the Delaware and White Wyandotte are best buds.

That's how it usually goes. But then the next day, they are best friends with someone else.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  6. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:Sounds like Jr. High School...

7. keljonma

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Maybe, a little like school. [​IMG]

Somedays our Golden Penciled Hamburg and our Dominique are inseparable and others they are on different sides of the farmyard.

If you don't have more than 1 breed of each chicken, they still find others to hang with, but that pairing or grouping isn't necessarily etched in stone.

I was really just trying to say my flock gets along as well with each other as any other group of "kids" and none of them has a twin to pair with. I find it comforting to hear about how flocks come to their own sense of community.

I think they are much more fun to watch than people, but very similar. And I don't have to drive to the mall to do it. [​IMG]

8. pansophia

pansophia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Rather than start a new thread, I think my question can fit in here - will this "breedism" be an issue with just two birds? Hubby likes RIRs and I like Buff Orpingtons so we were hoping to get one of each. Are we better off getting two of the same?

9. keljonma

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I say go for it. Here is what our flock started as - 26 birds -
    ONE of each breed listed....

Pullets-
    Silver Lakenvelder
    Golden Laced Wyandotte
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    White Wyandotte
    Columbian Wyandotte
    Auraucana/Americana
    Dominique
    Barred Plymouth Rock
    Partridge Plymouth Rock
    White Plymouth Rock
    Rhode Island Red
    New Hampshire Red
    Jersey Black Giant
    Buttercup
    Ancona
    Buff Orpington
    Delaware
    Silver Spangled Hamburg
    Golden Penciled Hamburg
    White Faced Black Spanish
    Silver Grey Dorking
    Speckled Sussex
    Rose Comb Brown Leghorn

Cockerels-
    Golden Campine
    Single Comb Light Brown Leghorn

10. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Are chickens all different breeds, like dogs, or are there actually different species of chickens.

Dogs dont seem to care what breed another dog is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by