Chicken randomly dropped dead?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ninjascrub69, Dec 17, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    This morning i went out to the coop to feed and water the chickens and my minorca cockerel was laying on the floor, dead. What could have caused this? Could it have been a disease, and if so what disease could it be? My dominant rooster had a little bit of blood (im assuming it was blood) on his neck feathers, but the minorca didnt have any apparent injuries.

Edited to add: He was acting normal before he died, and his poo was normal also.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

That is a hard way to start the day [​IMG]

Sometimes we never know why or what happened. Could have been a sudden heart problem, or maybe he hit his head at sometime during the night (night fright and flew into something) [​IMG]

I had a bantam cochin who passed away within 2 hours of opening the coop for the morning. She had run out, eaten and gotten a drink like normal, had been out free ranging and wandered back to the run - where I found her laid out like she was sunbathing but she had passed away.

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Not enough info there to give you much of a guess. Imagine finding a dog/cat/random animal lying dead on the lawn- no obvious cause death- there are 100s of things that could have happened. Detective work must be done.
    Start with close inspection of the bird- you may find something.
    Many causes of death possible- severe parasites, head trauma, predator, tumors, heart issue, really hot infectious agent, poison/toxin ect
    Some of these things you can rule out with a very careful inspection of the bird. Some you can rule out by doing a home necropsy. To detect some- you would need to get a lab involved- professional necropsy. If you still have the bird, check into whether you have a state lab that takes poultry. Some have low cost or free service for 'food' animals.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by