Chicken recovering from shock, how long till I need to force feed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StephanRanch, Jul 27, 2014.

1. StephanRanch

StephanRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    Murfreesboro Tn
    Our favorite little chicken was attacked by a small dog yesterday. I was out there and able to chase the dog away before the chicken was seriously hurt other than an eye injury. I was with her all afternoon treating her for shock. I gave her electrolytes, wrapped her in a towel, etc. the problem I am having now is she has gained enough energy this morning to thwart my attempts to water her and will not touch food. She does not walk around she sits in the box I put her in (that box is inside a large rabbit cage). Considering the stress she has been under, how long do I wait until I force feed her or should I? I've heard range from a few days to two weeks and that's not considering stress.

2. ChickenLover172

ChickenLover172 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    Forcing the food on her will only stress her out even more, just wait. She will eventually start eating again. She's just nervous about going out again and being attacked. I'm sure she won't starve herself.:)

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Injuries almost certainly involve more than eye so she is very sore. Very likely she has puncture and crushing wounds with former prone to infection. Keep her in a cool dry place with with a cover over her location to give her the feeling of being hidden. Make certain water is available and consider the use of an antibiotic in that water to help with infection issues. If she is less than half grown then a access to a heat lamp may be wise. She can go a couple days without eating with no problem and she will be loosing weight regardless. Have feed available that is relatively coarse so you can see if she is eating. Also consider providing her with live mealworms as they are hard to resist for a bird even slightly hungry.

4. StephanRanch

Jun 26, 2014
    Murfreesboro Tn
    She is currently in the spare room where I watch tv and do homework so I can be close. She is in a rabbit cages it's food and water with a blanket over it, so she can feel safe and hidden. I've closed the vent so the room won't get too cold.
    For the eye I was planned on getting Terramycin which I believe I can just go get at the co-op, but I don't want to go stressing her out just yet. I also have salene for it.
    Can I get antibiotics from the co-op or do I have to see a vet?

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Co-op or farm supply will have appropriate antibiotics.

6. StephanRanch

Jun 26, 2014
    Murfreesboro Tn
    Ok thanks! I will do that for her.

Wanted to update:
    Little is eating this morning and moving around more. The eye looks a little better too. She is still shaky though, and her tongue seems to be numb and looks white in places. I am still monitoring her very closely and keeping her safe inside. I pulled the blanket half off so she still has a safe area, but can also get a feel for day/night. She is still sleeping a lot and her feathers stay puffed away from her body. I'm optimistic but still wary.
    Thank you all for your help and advice so go at!

7. StephanRanch

Jun 26, 2014
    Murfreesboro Tn
    I am happy to report that Little is doing much better today. She is cheeping, walking around, stretching her wings and her appetite is back. She is not completely recovered, but I think we are out of the woods. She is having a bit of trouble eating, her tongue seems numb, but the vet I talked to says it is probably a bit of nerve dammage that should get better over time. I'm so happy to see her up and about and eating.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What makes you think tongue is numb? Show picture.

9. StephanRanch

Jun 26, 2014
    Murfreesboro Tn
    She was having trouble gripping things in her beak and her tongue was hanging out. She went back out with the flock today I don't have pictures of what her tongue looked like. It was pale. She has her energy back and while she is at least partially blind in one eye and her "good aim" while eating isn't quite back, I was confident she was ready to go back out and she is doing great so far

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show a picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by