1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken "regurging" water??? Sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlibby, Nov 9, 2011.

1. jlibby

jlibby New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    Hi I have a 2-3 year old RIR that looks fine except for the fact that I just went in to check on them and she was the only one not roosting. I picked her up and put her on the roost. When I did, a small amount of clear liquid came out of her beak. I left her alone and went back out 10 min. later and tried to pick her up. When I did, a lot of the same liquid came spewing out. Her crop felt big. Did I push on it and cause this? Twice? This has never happened. All other chickens seem fine. Is it possible for a chicken to regurg on its own? thanks

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have a question... Had she not drank for a while? Did you see her drink a lot?

3. jlibby

jlibby New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    She seems to drink normally. I think she could have just drank a lot only because she was the only chicken on the ground and she might have just come from the waterer. Thanks

4. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    It sounds like she could be impacted or going sour. If her crop feels large it may be that she is not emptying. Was the liquid sour smelling? I would isolate her and remove food and water. Make she she clears before adding back liquids and soft foods. Good luck.

5. jlibby

jlibby New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by