Chicken Regurgitating Water?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FalcoSparverius, Aug 8, 2009.

1. FalcoSparverius

FalcoSparverius Wants a Custom Title

Jul 18, 2009
    I picked up my RIR, then about half a cup of water streamed out of her beak.

Why did she do that? and what does it mean?

[​IMG] Ask not why the chicken crossed the road, but why the road got in the way of the chicken. [​IMG]

2. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Had she just drank right before you picked her up? If so, maybe you jusy picked her up a bit too soon. If not, then check her crop. Is there a foul smell coming from her beak with a full and squishy? If so, it could be sour crop.

3. FalcoSparverius

Jul 18, 2009
    I think she might have drank earlier, but am not sure. What is crop? I will smell her beak tomorrow.

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    The crop is the area where food collects- sort of a storage area- before it moves on to the gizzard, where it will be "crushed" with the grit and moved along to be processed by the body.

First thing in the morning, feel the area of the breast below the neck. Essentialy, you should feel nothing. A chicken's crop should empty throughout the night. If it is still enlarged, it could be impacted. Keep us updated and good luck!!!

Terrah

5. FalcoSparverius

Jul 18, 2009
    I felt the crop, and it was slightly gushy, but Silkie (my RIR) had been eating. There was no bad smell at all. And in fact, she seemed to like the rubbing. I think she's fine. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] Ask not why the chicken crossed the road, but why the road got in the way of the chicken. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: