Chicken rehab after dog attack!

chrisc2865

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
I recently was sitting quietly one evening (5 or 6) in my backyard, surrounded by my lovely chickens. Out of knowwhere, the neighbors dog appeared and caught one of my poor hens (Reba) and strated carrying her off! The neighbors got to her, she dropped the bird in my pasture, but Reba was not moving. When I got to her, I picked her up, and realized she was still alive. I have had her in the house for 4 days now. she is doing better, eating and drinking, but she is not able to walk. ONe of her legs, while it is not broke, just doesn't seem to work properly. I am guessing there is either some type of nerve damage, or broken bone in her back. Like I said, she is doing okay, just can't walk. I have seen some improvement over the days. She will at least stand up now and try to walk, but must still feel pain. She has been a very good sport letting me treat her wounds on her back. I also notices some bruising ans swelling on her belly, but that seems to be doing better too.

I am just concerned if she will ever be able to walk. Does anybody have any experience with this?

I want her to have some form of normal life after recovery. Please give me some advise,,,,more time?

Thanks,
c

Thank you for your reply and good luck wishes.

So you think that even if there is a broken bone somewhere in her back, that it will eventually heal and she will be able to walk?
c

I had a young pullet that survived a possum attack. She was pretty shocky and laid in one spot in a small cage in the house for over a week before she even attempted to stand. Eventually she did and though she lost an eye is now running around out side in my front yard.

Hope yours makes it. Chickens are pretty tough and heal from alot of awful wounds.

As hard as it is to believe, chickens are pretty durable. We had a rooster whom a dog had gotten a hold of, eaten both his wings and the next day he was eating away at food... boyfriend couldn't stand it and so we put the bird down and out of his misery (he was bleeding way too much and didn't think he'd make it to the vet).

I've a hen whose leg was broken and for two months it just hung there... it took her a full 3 1/2 months before she start hobbling on it and now, she's 2 1/2 years old (2 years later...). Just take care of her, etc. etc. If you are really worried, take her to the vet.

I'm wondering what your neighbor is doing (or not) about the attack. They know their dog did it I think they should offer to pay for her vet bills. At the very least they should sincerely applogize and take whatever measures necessary to see the dog never sets foot on your property again. Do they realize you probably have the right to shoot their dog if he ever goes after your chickens again.

I hope your poor Reba makes. But it won't do much good if the dog comes back.

To Drumstick diva,

The neighbor guy did feel bad. He offered to buy me a new chicken! They don't get it.

Anyway, the dog regularly gets out, but it has usually been when the chickens are locked in the run. I try to let them out for a few minutes in the evening for them to get some grass. It just so happened thier dog came during this time. I lost two more a couple months ago, but didn't know for sure how. They were out then as well. The dog immediately ran to the back of my yard where the chickens are, so I have my suspicions that he got the other two as well. They didn't make it. I didn't even find one of them!

I have dogs too, but they know that these are "our" chickens, so they don't bother them. I'm sure at some time my animals have done something that someone hasn't liked, so I try to be a good neighbor and not make a big deal out of things. It's just unfortunate for Reba.

My son's dog got hold of my Lakenvelder rooster at least a month ago. Like your hen, something happened to the rooster's legs. He laid around for probably a week not able to get up. He can now stand up well, though he can't walk very good and can't roost at all. I'm going to put him back with his hens to see if he is able to accomplish that aspect of 'roo-dom', otherwise I'll have to get a new roo. It has been at least a month if not 6 weeks since the dog got him, and he had no visible (external) wounds at all.

Chrisc I know the dog got Reba when she was loose in your yard not in the run but, I think if you could put some electric wire around you run it would be of great value. Then you keep your chickens in the run. When the dog comes for another visit and can't find loose chickens I figure he would go to the run and see if he can get into it. Probably a good zap from the fence would help convince him he doesn't ever want to visit you again. That way you didn't punish the neighbors dog, the fence did. You got the fence to keep predators out.

I bet the guy felt so bad he offered you $ 2. bucks for a new chicken. I know you want to keep the peace but, I think I would tell him if something happens to his chicken killer dog, you'll give him $ 2. to get a new one.

How is Reba doing?

Reba is doing okay. She eats and drinks when I offer her something. It hurts her to try and walk, but she still tries. She uses her wings to balance herself and sometimes uses her beak to push herself up.

I hope the majority of the posters are correct in that she will recover!

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words!

Back
Top Bottom