1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken related jewelry

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, Dec 22, 2010.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    [​IMG] along with figurines I like making jewelry. Who else makes jewelry?
    Here's a couple I made tonight.
    Deviled eggs and sunny side up eggs.
    [​IMG]

2. ebwy2

ebwy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    I like them!

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

A day does not go by that I do not at LEAST make a pair of earrings. Or a bracelet. Or necklace. Or anklet. Or bookmark. Or something made of beads and findings!

Of the few hobbies I have, I love jewelry-making the most and probably spend as much time making jewelry as I do working on my job. Pretty much any "expendable" income I get either goes into the chickens or into the bead cabinet.

So what did you make the eggs out of? Did you use polymer clay or what?

4. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Yep I use polymer clay. I have beads and such as well, but I love making things out of clay most when it comes to my jewelry. Do you have photos of the stuff you make? I'd love to see them if you do! [​IMG]

5. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    My mom has recently gotten into jewlery making. She found a rooster pendant at the fair and made it into a necklace for me. It's beautiful.[​IMG]. I love the idea of the eggs, they look great.

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I wish I could find some better chicken pendants. I have two that are really small, more like a charm rather than a pendant. I picked them up at the last Gem Faire when they were in town. They're really cute & I'm kicking myself for only buying two. I found a really cool peyote stitch pattern that's a picture of a rooster crowing, and I was thinking I might make a pouch/bag out of it someday. I got some nice glass lampwork chicken beads in a bead swap earlier this year, and I'm hanging onto those to make earrings with!

7. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I planned on actually making some more jewelry. If anyone wants some feel free to send me a PM with what you would like to see.

8. Schweiger

Schweiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Augusta, Ga
    I saw a man at our local Flea Market who was a native american and sold dream catchers and other "native american" stuff. Any way he had a few pairs of Gold dipped rooster spur earings. I figured it would be pretty easy to make if someone new how to attack the earing part to the spur. All you have to do to get a rooster spur off your roo is simply grab his leg, take a pair of pliers, and grab the spurs with the pliers then twist and pull. It looked like the guy had used 2 ich spurs but Iguess any size would work, or any spur for that matter, I know turkeys can get some good spurs.

9. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:Could always save the rooster from some pain and make a replica spur.

10. Schweiger

Schweiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Augusta, Ga
    It is painless. A roosters spurs grow in layers, so when you remove the outer layer there is a smaller softer spur inside. A roosters spur is hollow because of this reason. I remove all of my roosters spurs every 6 months as this keeps the length down so that when he breeds it doesnt hurt their back. I will have to post a picture of some spurs for you all to see what I mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by