Chicken related jewelry

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, Dec 22, 2010.

1. [​IMG] along with figurines I like making jewelry. Who else makes jewelry?
    Here's a couple I made tonight.
    Deviled eggs and sunny side up eggs.
    [​IMG]

2. ebwy2

ebwy2 Songster

Aug 8, 2010
    I like them!

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

A day does not go by that I do not at LEAST make a pair of earrings. Or a bracelet. Or necklace. Or anklet. Or bookmark. Or something made of beads and findings!

Of the few hobbies I have, I love jewelry-making the most and probably spend as much time making jewelry as I do working on my job. Pretty much any "expendable" income I get either goes into the chickens or into the bead cabinet.

So what did you make the eggs out of? Did you use polymer clay or what?

4. Yep I use polymer clay. I have beads and such as well, but I love making things out of clay most when it comes to my jewelry. Do you have photos of the stuff you make? I'd love to see them if you do! [​IMG]

5. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Songster

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    My mom has recently gotten into jewlery making. She found a rooster pendant at the fair and made it into a necklace for me. It's beautiful.[​IMG]. I love the idea of the eggs, they look great.

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I wish I could find some better chicken pendants. I have two that are really small, more like a charm rather than a pendant. I picked them up at the last Gem Faire when they were in town. They're really cute & I'm kicking myself for only buying two. I found a really cool peyote stitch pattern that's a picture of a rooster crowing, and I was thinking I might make a pouch/bag out of it someday. I got some nice glass lampwork chicken beads in a bead swap earlier this year, and I'm hanging onto those to make earrings with!

7. I planned on actually making some more jewelry. If anyone wants some feel free to send me a PM with what you would like to see.

8. Schweiger

Schweiger Chirping

Dec 11, 2010
    Augusta, Ga
    I saw a man at our local Flea Market who was a native american and sold dream catchers and other "native american" stuff. Any way he had a few pairs of Gold dipped rooster spur earings. I figured it would be pretty easy to make if someone new how to attack the earing part to the spur. All you have to do to get a rooster spur off your roo is simply grab his leg, take a pair of pliers, and grab the spurs with the pliers then twist and pull. It looked like the guy had used 2 ich spurs but Iguess any size would work, or any spur for that matter, I know turkeys can get some good spurs.

9. Quote:Could always save the rooster from some pain and make a replica spur.

10. Schweiger

Schweiger Chirping

Dec 11, 2010
    Augusta, Ga
    It is painless. A roosters spurs grow in layers, so when you remove the outer layer there is a smaller softer spur inside. A roosters spur is hollow because of this reason. I remove all of my roosters spurs every 6 months as this keeps the length down so that when he breeds it doesnt hurt their back. I will have to post a picture of some spurs for you all to see what I mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by