Chicken related pictures needed

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mopargal1972, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mopargal1972

mopargal1972 Double K Poultry

I am in the process of attempting to write a book. I have never done this before and funds are very low, as always [​IMG]. I would like to ask the generous folks here at BYC to post pics on this thread that I could use in my book. I will not be able to pay for the use of these pics unless the book does well. I will however give credit in the book for the pics, so please post your name or your farm name along with the pic. I will PM the people who's pictures I choose, and they will get a free copy of the book once it is published. I need all kinds of pictures. Coops, tractors, pens, feeders, eggs, broody mamma pics, and of course anything else chicken related. I am also planning on putting BYC in the back of the book, in the helpful websites section. If anyone else has a link that I should put in the book, please let me know. I am also considering putting a breeder section in the book as well. I will not charge for this as I am not sure that the book will do well. I have been in contact with Kelly Klober, the president of my local farmer's market, which I am a board member of. He has written several books and magazine articles himself. His advice to me was "just do it" so, here goes.

ETA:
    Ok guys, I am going to change this thread a bit. You ARE NOT agreeing to let me use your pics by posting here. Submit as many pics as you want. When the time comes to choose pics for the book, I will have agreements drawn up and PM the people who's pics are chosen. So submit away![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    As long as I retain all rights to my photos I would let you use a few. But I'd have to have a contract of some sort stating I retain my rights. [​IMG]

What sort of chicken book?

3. mopargal1972

Well, it is a how to book for backyard chicken keepers. I don't think that would be a problem. I just want to make sure that I have permission to use them. I am totally new to this. I would gladly sign a contract, as long as I can legally publish your pictures in the book. I am not even sure that it will be publish-worthy.....lol. Any advice that you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

4. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I can't help you with the publishing thing. I am writing books, but I am doing it in that "oh yeah, I'm writing a book" way, LOL.

I just need reassurance that you wouldn't steal my photos. I'm very, verrrrry paranoid about stuff, hehe. Maybe someone else can post about how to do a simple, binding contract.

5. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    For the contract all you should need is a letter/contract that states that party "a" has permission to use photos x,y, and z from party "b" for project "a" only and no other permission is granted. Make sure you take it to a notary. I think that should be enough.

6. mopargal1972

I completely understand you concerns. I will PM you if and when I figure out how to do that. Thank you, and BTW you take beautiful pictures. [​IMG]

7. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I might be interested to offer up lots of pics under said contract. [​IMG]

8. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Thanks Red and Mopargirl!

How would we do it.. you write it and send them out in the mail?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  9. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    You might be able to find a basic template for it online, I would start with MS Office, then make two copies of it, get both signed and then mail both to the other party. Once they have signed both of them have them send one back to you. That way you both have an original of the contract.

10. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    When we get the contract done I will email you my name and a lot of photos to choose what you need from. [​IMG]

Thanks red. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by