Chicken relocatoin

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by meagan60, Feb 28, 2016.

1. meagan60

meagan60 New Egg

Feb 27, 2016
    Good morning! We are new chicken owners. Actually, we will be moving them to our farm in a couple weeks. They're an established flock with 8 hens, 1 rooster, and 2 guinea fowl. We are getting their coop so we are getting them and the home they are used to. It's only about 1 mile down a gravel road so not moving them far but my question is, what is the easiest way to move them without totally stressing them out? I understand they will have some stress but how can we make this the easiest for them? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] A chicken crate or several dog carriers so that they are confined and can not do a great bit of flapping around should be sufficient. Even though it is such a short move, be aware that the change in environment may cause a slight cessation in egg production. Good luck with the move.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Dog crates work fine if you have them. If not, I've seen chickens transported in rubbermaid totes, laundry hampers, 5 gallon buckets, pretty much anything you can rig a lid/cover. Cardboard boxes work a treat, too. The chickens really don't care.

4. meagan60

meagan60 New Egg

Feb 27, 2016
    Thank you! We have a couple dog crates so I think that's what we will try. Excited to get my backyard flock comfortable and happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by