1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken repellent plant?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickendumplin, Jun 13, 2008.

1. chickendumplin

chickendumplin New Egg

Jun 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Howdy--------My chickens love me, they watch me in the house, listen for my voice and all day they poop outside by patio door. They have a half acre but spend the day by the patio door pooping, listening and watching ME. I heard that there is a plant that repells them, a plant that they hate the smell of....any ideas cuz Im knee deep in poop--Thanks

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I think the only thing you can do is put up a fence that is tall enough they can not fly over. After awhile, they will find a new place to hang out. Good luck!

Welcome

3. Hilatious

Hilatious Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    Marysville, WA
    I have this same problem! I was hoping to find a smell they don't like. Let me know if you have found a solution..

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My chickens don't like rosemary and sage, but I run them off the porch anyway. They learn to stay off the porch.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  5. EggieRowe

EggieRowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Suddenly glad my chickens seem to dislike me - I never thought of the consequences if they became really comfortable around me. My BF (and I) would have a fit if our patio was littered with chicken poop!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. Hilatious

Hilatious Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    Marysville, WA
    Ha ha yes it is quite the nuisance! I tried putting a goose decoy on my back steps but to no avail now they hang out with the goose and poo. What I'm trying now is putting some food on the back steps hoping they wont poo where they eat, its working to an extent but not well enough to call it a solution. I think I'm gonna try some of my Halloween decorations >=]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by