Chicken Respiratory Disease... Do I Report?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fowlfam, Nov 21, 2016.

1. fowlfam

fowlfam Just Hatched

Nov 1, 2016
    Since July we have been battling with a respiratory disease among our flock. Granted, this is my FFA project that was started in March, and while I may have thought I had enough previous knowledge to raise a strictly "non-GMO flock", obviously there was a lot to learn, and maybe my approach of "no probiotics, antibiotics, vaccines, or anything other than non-medicated feed and water may be given to them" was a little much. But what's done is done and now I am left with a disease that keeps coming back and a flock that is obviously infected. We have tried medication (Tylan 50), Safeguard Goat Wormer, Antibiotics, Oxytetracycline, among other things trying to cure our flock. Yet, here we are, four months into trying to cure them, and failing miserably. We have come to conclusion that if we do indeed want a healthy and productive flock, it will be best to cull our current flock of 30 birds and start over again at the end of December. I read that you should report any poultry respiratory disease to the USDA, is this true? And will it be beneficial to me? We really want to know how to ensure that we completely clean our coop and get rid of the disease. We live in West Michigan, so it is very cold now. If we do call and report, will they give feedback on how to ensure a disease free coop?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you are dealing with this. Probiotics are completely natural to use, and small amounts of plain yogurt can increase immunity. Most respiratory diseases are chronic and make carriers of the whole flock. Buying birds or chicks from another farm is a good way of getting some diseases. I would call your state vet or poultry lab and discuss the issue. Perhaps send in a couple of sick birds to be euthanized and have necropsies performed.Mycoplasma (MG, MS) and coryza are very common, and there are viruses and fungal infections as well. Some diseases will only remain in the environment for a few days after the birds are gone, and some may remain for weeks. It would be good to know what you are treating to get it under control or to start over. Here are some links about the common diseases and some for the state vets and labs:
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Not all diseases are reportable. Only a handful are.

You have tried several medications without knowing what you were treating. That is the first problem. Culling without having a bird tested to find what is ailing them is the second problem. It is possible it is a disease that can infect your next flock.
    Prophylactically giving antibiotics without knowing what you're treating is how superbugs are created.

Probiotics IS a natural way of raising birds. My chicks get probiotics in their first water.

Here's your state poultry lab. I would send your sickest bird there for humane euthanasia, necropsy and lab tests. That's the only way you'll know what they have, if it is treatable, how to treat or even if you can house birds there for the next year.

Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health
    Michigan State University
    4125 Beaumont Rd, Ste 201H
    Lansing, Michigan 48910-8103
    Phone: 517-353-1683

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by