chicken responding to tylan 50

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kharlex85, Nov 26, 2013.

1. kharlex85

kharlex85 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2012
    my chicken started having a bad cough and sneezing last weekwith a swollen eye when she breathesit sounds very raspyso I gave her Tylan 50 the swollen eye is gone but she still sounds very raspy and you can hear there is a lot of mucus when she breathes it seems like she is not responding to Thailand 50 anymore she has lost weight and she looks weak and its not eating as much I was wondering should I administer another antibiotic if so which one do you think help Her

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was there a bad smell before you started treatment that may have been a sign of coryza? If so, you might want to treat with Di-Methox or sulfadimethoxine. If no bad smell, then it may just betaking a little while to get over it. Denagard is supposed tobe used on CRD that is Tylan resistant. But since the eye went down, you might give the Tylan for 5 days.

3. GoldenChicks16

GoldenChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    Hey, good call on the Tylan 50 and im glad it worked. I don't know if I would put her on another dose of antibiotics since this might make her immune system dependent on the when she comes off. Put a little VetRX in her water or put it on a Q-tip and slather the top of her mouth and sinus's with it. Its not a medication so it will start working immediately and will help ease the symptoms. I would continue of the Tylan 50 and use the VetRX for a couple more days. [​IMG]

4. kharlex85

Nov 1, 2012
    Im sorry my title is wrong my chicken is not responding to tylan 50 anymore I think maybe bbecause I missed a dose I was wondering if I should give her another type of antibioticyou can hear she has a lot of trouble breathing there is a wheezing noise and she seems very congested there is sneezing and coughing she had a swollen eye but it went down

5. kharlex85

Nov 1, 2012
    I never smelled a bad odor by the waybefore the treatment

6. GoldenChicks16

GoldenChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    I would use Duramycin 10 and you can either do a 400mg dose or an 800mg dose. I would start her with the 400mg dose personally and see how she reacts to that. If she doesn't seem to be improving up the dosage to 800mg. With the 400mg you'll add 1/2 Tbsp to a gallon of water and a whole Tbsp for the 800mg. Here's some information on antibiotics, how they treat things, what you can give them too, and dosing: http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pd
    You should really post a picture of the eye so we can make sure it's not something more severe like Conjunctivitus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by