"Chicken Retirement Home"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by momofonly, Aug 31, 2010.

1. momofonly

momofonly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    That's a phrase I saw in a book about chicken raising. The author states that if you don't cull your layers when they stop laying, you'll be running a "chicken retirement home."

My plan (if I actually do decide to raise chickens) is to get 2 or 3 hens that will hopefully lay eggs. I realize in a few years they will stop laying, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get rid of them. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't know if I will see them as pets. My husband doesn't think I'll ever be able to get rid of them once they come in, because I'll get too attached. I've had animals all of life, but as pets, never as livestock.

Do most of you cull the old hens, or do you end up keeping them into their old age?

Thanks! Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm still trying to decide. [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:The oldest of my chickens are only a year old, but I plan to keep them until they can join the AARP.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Well....I keep them until they die of old age. The way I see it, they took care of me by providing eggs and they've earned the right to have a nice retirement. The oldest hen I've owned was a Rhode Island Red who lived 10 years.

4. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I SUPPORT CHICKEN RETIREMENT! [​IMG] I started off with a couple, now I have 61!

5. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The oldest of my chickens are only a year old, but I plan to keep them until they can join the AARP.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Melissa

6. momofonly

momofonly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    You make excellent points. I'll use that as a justification for keeping them all if and when the time comes. [​IMG]

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    There is a interesting article in the "Backyard Poultry" Magazine this month (Aug/Sept 2010) page 14. Scared if Slaughtering
    I thought it was very informative and a aspect I hadn't considered. I was raised on a mini farm, my dad said "don't name them 'cause their going into the freezer". [​IMG] I have mixed feeling about this subject... so it was refreshing to gain a new view.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I already have a few that havent laid an egg in months-maybe they hit retirement age? They here until they pass. Dh may not be too happy when we are feeding 50 old hens and getting 1-2 eggs a day but hey-they have earned it!

9. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    My chickens not only provide eggs -- they fertilize my yard and also eat bugs. They provide entertainment and personal satisfaction. There is more to a hen's life than eggs.
    That being said -- I do cull -- just not all of my old hens. I have a 6 year old Barred Rock that still lays occasionally. I have 2 four year old hens that I will keep as long as they live, also.
    Dale-Ann

10. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I haven't even received my new chicks yet, and my consumption of meat has already gone down. I have never been a big meat eater. I think I could be done eating the bird completly once I have chickens of my own. I love the idea of eating their eggs and in turn providing proper care... but i suppose I'm making meat eating a little more personal.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by