Chicken returning to coop?

ChiffonCake

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2020
So I’ve confined my two chickens for a couple days in their new coop. I let them out today, but was wondering if they’re able to return to their coop as their coop entrance is 2 feet above ground.

There is this little wooden board with steps on it that they could use to get up to the coop, but would they do it when night comes around?

Most chickens can fly up two feet, that's the average roost height. If they vaguely want to, they can get in.
So I’ve confined my two chickens for a couple days in their new coop. I let them out today, but was wondering if they’re able to return to their coop as their coop entrance is 2 feet above ground.

There is this little wooden board with steps on it that they could use to get up to the coop, but would they do it when night comes around?

They should, if that’s where they’ve been confined and gotten to know as home. Around dusk I would go out and make sure everyone makes their way back to the coop; you don’t want them panic roosting up in the trees. When our 5 week old chicks were put outside (we’re in the South, temp wasn’t an issue), we made sure to go outside and watch everybody as darkness approached. Most came back to the coop, but half of them just stood there at the bottom of the ramp chirping. You may have to place them physically in for the first few nights but they will eventually get it. Now at 8 weeks they are all in there, half of them roost and the other half are still huddling together on the ground. They’ll mature and eventually get it.

They should, if that’s where they’ve been confined and gotten to know as home. Around dusk I would go out and make sure everyone makes their way back to the coop; you don’t want them panic roosting up in the trees. When our 5 week old chicks were put outside (we’re in the South, temp wasn’t an issue), we made sure to go outside and watch everybody as darkness approached. Most came back to the coop, but half of them just stood there at the bottom of the ramp chirping. You may have to place them physically in for the first few nights but they will eventually get it. Now at 8 weeks they are all in there, half of them roost and the other half are still huddling together on the ground. They’ll mature and eventually get it.
Thanks for the reply! Will make sure to check on them.

Back
Top Bottom