Chicken right leg is messed up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Denise Hammond, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Denise Hammond

Denise Hammond Hatching

Jun 23, 2017
    Hi, new member here. My chicken's (or rooster) right leg is injured, it's been like this for a few weeks. She/he was walking fine one night and the next day she /he couldn't stand up, after a week she/he was able to stand and move around with the help of her/his feathers. Wondering what could be causing this. I've attached a picture of her/him.

Attached Files:

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Songster

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Looks like a meat bird too me. They are known to get bad legs. Its a rooster.

Denise Hammond likes this.
  3. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi
    How old is the chicken? It's looking like a cockerel, as is the one in the background, but age is a factor and better photos would help.... also a video of the one with the poorly leg would make it easier to diagnose, as seeing how it moves can often help to identify if it is an injury to the leg or neurological.
    I'm also wondering if these are meat birds? Do you know their breed? The sparse feathering on the lame one suggest that it is a broiler and that would explain the leg issue..... broilers grow too big and too fast for their skeleton and joints to cope and if they are not butchered at a young age they often go off their legs or have heart attacks.

eggbert420 likes this.
  4. Denise Hammond

Denise Hammond Hatching

Jun 23, 2017
    Thank you for your reply. My husband said it is a Leg Horn and the folks I get the feed from said it is a broiler (meat) chicken. He is roughly 4 months old, this happened when he was 3 months, when it first happened he couldn't walk, or even get around, now he can maneuver himself to get where he wants, very slowly though. Here is a video of him.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Denise Hammond :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry you are having trouble.

Do you have vet care available?

I agree with the others, it looks like you may have a meat bird. He may have a leg bone deformity like Valgus Varus or Rotated Tibia (which is a variation of Valgus Varus). This can also be seen in "non meat bird breeds" as well.

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done to correct a leg bone deformity and it will most likely worsen over time.
    It's possible it could be injury related, but without a vet to perform some xrays it would be hard to determine what's going on.

Do the best you can to make him comfortable. He may struggle to get to food/water, so make those easily accessible to him. The flock may eventually start to pick on him, so keep watch for that. Depending on your chicken keeping goals (breeding), you will not want to use him for breeding unless you do find that it is definitely an injury.

[​IMG]
    Reference: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul.../noninfectious-skeletal-disorders-in-broilers
    https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_intertarsal_joint_in_broiler_chickens

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Eggcessive likes this.
  6. Denise Hammond

Denise Hammond Hatching

Jun 23, 2017
    No, we do not have vet care as we can't afford it. We do make sure he is very comfortable, food and water right there at him and he is loved on. He does share space with another one (he is in the video that I posted) and the healthy one has started becoming aggressive, which I understand is normal at this stage. But yesterday the healthy one bit the injured one in the neck, is that normal?

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thanks for the video!
    I would suspect that he has a leg bone deformity, especially after your mention that it started around a month ago and has progressed. I'm sorry.

The healthy rooster will most likely attack him again or possibly kill him, so you will want to separate them.

8. Denise Hammond

Denise Hammond Hatching

Jun 23, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback. We have separated the roosters, the injured one is being taken care of. My girls and I have grown quite attached to him.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad you have separated him. It will be less stressful on him. From what I understand meat birds can be quite sweet, I hope he gets along o.k. :)

Denise Hammond likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: