1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken roost, college style

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kanga77510, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Remember in college your book shelf was cinder blocks and plywood? I did the same thing for a chicken roost. I'd been wracking my brains for a while for ideas on how to make a roost for the girls. Here's what I came up with. Makes a nice roost for crazy chicken folks too (DH caught me chillin with the girls this afternoon)

[​IMG]

2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Nicely done. [​IMG]

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    it is good Idea, but IMO chickens like thier roost alittle higher, maybe 28" to 30" from ground.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Thanks for the idea. I was looking for something low to the ground for the little ones to get up on in the run!

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    That's a good idea for younger birds, or just to play on! I was trying to figure out a way to make something in the "play" area of my run, and that should be perfect! Thanks for a great idea![​IMG]

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Good simple idea. If that is only roost you have tho, the chooks may stay in the nests all night and fill them with poop. From photo looks like nests are higher than roost you made.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by