1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Roosting space

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mucky Duck, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Mucky Duck

Mucky Duck New Egg

Nov 22, 2008
    G'day everyone

I am new to this and I am building a coop to be ready for buying some chickens. Can anyone tell me how much space ie length one should allow per bird for a chicken roost ?

2. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    i've read 10 horizontal inches per bird, and 2 vertical feet headroom. someone here has about 12" headroom and all his birds crowd up in there.

edit maybe a foot fore and a foot aft too

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG]

Roughly about 30cm is the correct measurement for standard size chickens and around 22 to 25cm for bantam breeds. Hope this helps, mate. [​IMG]

4. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I allowed 10 in. minimum per chicken for mine.

5. Mucky Duck

Mucky Duck New Egg

Nov 22, 2008
    Many thanks to all for the information. I am very impressed with the "Hen House Hiltons " I have seen on the BYC site I am afraid my chickens will be living in much less salubrious accommodation, but hopefully will be safe comfortable and content.[​IMG]

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Best of luck to you and your flock! I'm sure they will love the coop no matter what design you choose [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by