Chicken Rubbing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ColletteGB, Jan 19, 2014.

1. ColletteGB

ColletteGB Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    Hampshire Uk
    i have noticed that one of my chickens likes to rub itself into the other chickens , is this affection & normal..Also had my first brown egg from one of my Marans yesterday .Very happy :D

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Can you describe what you mean about the rubbing?

3. ColletteGB

Oct 21, 2013
    Hampshire Uk
    Hello Beth..one of my hens like to rub & seems like nusle with other hens...just trying to understand them a little more as i am quite new to this..thank you for your reply :)

4. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

ColletteGB, Do you mean head nestling, like this? I do think the head rubbing is a sign of affection. They LOVE their roo and give him a lot of grooming too.

We purchased these OEGB BBR pullets at Point of lay- we didn't know how they were raised, or if they would become friendly to us, at all. After a few days of them acting standoffish toward us, I was secretly disappointed- I am used to very friendly chickens, so I was hoping to win them over. Anyway, one night right before roosting, one of them did this head nestle to my cheek, then cuddled in my long hair, and I was so happy- I realized these girls were just a little shy. Within one week, they were coming to their names, and with hand signals, flying on my head and shoulders when I call them. They are by far our friendliest chickens.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  5. ColletteGB

Oct 21, 2013
    Hampshire Uk
    Thanks for your reply..i have only had my chickens for a few weeks .. Its so good to here it is affection..all 5 of them come running to me when i call them and will feed from my hands although we do have a shy one..i would love them to come and sit with me on my garden bench in time..thay are 4yrs old so i hope thay will learn to trust me for some affection :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by