chicken run-a-muck...help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by teresac, Mar 28, 2009.

1. teresac

teresac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Blairsville, GA
    Our chicks are 3 wks old and boy are they growing. Trying to finish our run this weekend. Live in N. GA with lots of clay. Any suggestions for mulch etc. for the run? I have heard mluch is bad as could cause illness. What is a girl to do?[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Oh, that red Georgia clay.

I'd recommend sand. If you can get a layer of small gravel or even pea gravel, then top it with sand, the run will stay drier. The sand by itself will disappear into the clay but the smaller gravel helps delay that process. If you can, you could add more clay to the run to build it up higher than the surrounding area and mound it some so it drains better, then put gravel and sand on it.

You can put pavers, large rock, something to step on to get you above the mud, but they will eventually disappear into the mud. I would be careful about using wood for this as it can get very slippery when wet.

Some people do use organic materials like wood chips or straw, but they can get moldy when wet, will rot and just add to the mud. It is generally not a good thing to do. And straw mats down and is hard to remove.

3. teresac

teresac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Blairsville, GA
    That is a great idea. We live in the mountains so our run is NOT on level ground. The way we built it, I think the water will drain off. I think the pea gravel will work great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by