Chicken run build teaser...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sarahs Hens, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Sarahs Hens

Sarahs Hens Chirping

Mar 14, 2017
    Saratoga NY
    I purchased a secondhand coop a few weeks ago and spent this past weekend (the.whole.weekend) framing out a run... I think I used about as many deck screws as profanities.... but I'm proud of the progress so far since I did this pretty much alone with no prior experience with framing or the miter saw. I wouldn't get too close with a level, t-square (or magnet).. but it's pretty solid.
    20190714_201510.jpg

Specs... The coop is 4x4 and the run (including the space under the coop) is 8x12. This should be plenty for the 3 chickens we're planning on. I used 2x3 pre cut studs for the frame with a base of landscape timbers. The coop is elevated on half cinder blocks.

Design.... I set out to build a run with a roof that matched the grade of the coop roof... but I wanted it wider than 4ft. I couldn't just extend the roof grade because I didn't want it to interfere with the under roof vents on the coop... and one side would be only 3ft high. So I designed it with 2 roof grades (~15*, ~10*) with a drop between them, allowing air to pass through once the polycarb panels are attached. I'm hoping this will make the roof less of a sail.

Of course, there's a ton left to do. For the run, I still need a few more rafters, polycarb panels, paint, a door, apron and hardware cloth. For the coop, I am planning a full scale decontamination, additional ventilation, HC over vents and screens and better latches. With a full time job, this wont be complete until at least mid August. I will do a full write up with photos, materials, costs (and lessons learned) once finished... You'll likely see me on here with questions before then :)

In the meantime, it seems the run will be inspected nightly by the neighborhood skunk... Enjoy it now buddy, I'm fencing you out soon... Hmm, I should probably add deskunk shampoo to my next Amazon order...
    20190714_231524.jpg

2. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    You did this all in one weekend? That's FANTASTIC :bow

3. Sarahs Hens

Sarahs Hens Chirping

Mar 14, 2017
    Saratoga NY
    Aww thank you!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice!!
    Make sure you use lots of support under they poly panels, snow is heavy!

trumpeting_angel and DobieLover like this.
  5. Sarahs Hens

Sarahs Hens Chirping

Mar 14, 2017
    Saratoga NY
    Oooo thank you @aart! Yes we had a storm this past winter that was nearly 2ft in one sitting... Should I add more rafters or are you talking about supports perpendicular to the rafters? The rafter spacing now is about 3ft. I have the lumber to beef this up if needed.

I plan to also have a snow broom next to the coop to use after a big storm... same kind I use for the car... I dont want to take any chances.

MomJones and trumpeting_angel like this.
  6. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    “For our 3 chickens”

Your so funny! Lol jk but I think we all probably said something like this! Mine was, “it’s just 5 girls and a roo hunny..”
    28 chickens later. I won’t mention other birds we own lol. Awesome coup for sure! Forge on! And if you get sprayed by that skunk it’s gonna be “outside on the porch until you stop stinking” lol

7. HopeSprings

HopeSprings Songster

Feb 3, 2019
    Weaverville, NC
    Probably both! You'd be surprised at how destructive snow can be. (I've seen a few crumbled professional greenhouses that were not heated to melt the snow off during a storm!)

8. Sarahs Hens

Sarahs Hens Chirping

Mar 14, 2017
    Saratoga NY
    @Helloworld Hahahaha.... I knew that might illicit some chuckles. Its funny just earlier today I was looking at the space next to the coop and thought "hmmmm.... I could probably push that out and add on another 16 sqft of coop space..... :)"

But, in all seriousness I do have a hard upper limit.. My town (despite being mostly farms) only allows me to have 6... booo.

Oh yes.. My husband and I have come up with a skunk mitigation plan that involves the hose and a night in the shed lol.

@HopeSprings you're right it's better safe than sorry. It's waaaay easier to add it at this stage then try to reconstruct a caved in roof when it's -15 and dark.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Both rafters and perpendicular purlins, this shows it pretty well.
    upload_2019-7-18_7-59-0.png
    Spacing of rafters and purlins to be determined by panels used,
    might be bale to find spacing specs on manufactures website.

May Gonna need a longer handle ;) I made a DIY roof rake and used a telescoping handle that extends 6-7' for my 10x10 sheds. Do a 'warm run'(way before snow) to test your accessibility.

Helloworld and DobieLover like this.
  10. Sarahs Hens

Sarahs Hens Chirping

Mar 14, 2017
    Saratoga NY
    Thank you! From my quick calculation, that looks like about 18" spacing on the rafters so I'll double up what I have... I may actually put in more purlins than it shows too. Better safe than sorry

Thankfully, the highest point is only 6.5' so it shouldn't be much trouble. But a dry run couldn't hurt! I bought this one and I love it:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKQZCS/?tag=backy-20

In a pinch, I guess I could always use the one my husband has for the house.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: