Chicken run constructed onto small coop yesterday! **PICS**

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kristamarie, Sep 28, 2011.

1. kristamarie

kristamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    So I have previously posted pictures of my coop in another thread, in all its salvaged glory

[​IMG]

Its made of found materials from a friends barn, and since my 3 girls were happy to just peck around and never attempted to leave my yard I FOOLISHLY was in no hurry to jail them to a run. Long story short, 2 of girls flew the coop and were picked up by animal control and 'adopted out'. I intend to keep Henny safe and sound so yesterday I rented a pole driver, set up a few posts and attached a chain link fence. Since I don't need the top to be critter proof, I attached simple chicken wire between the fences to prevent Henny from flying out.

[​IMG]

The trees create shade and some protection from the weather and also pose some difficulty in attaching a "roof" [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The coop door and run door, no idea on what i'll use to secure the run door yet...

[​IMG]

Planning to adopt 2 friends from the aviary in about a month to share the run

[​IMG]

Enjoying some oatmeal and peanuts for breakfast

[​IMG]

There is still a section of the run just by the coop that still needs a wire roof. But other than that i'm pretty happy with it [​IMG]

2. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    I am so sorry to hear about 2 of your girls going AWOL, that's a hard way to learn a lesson. I am glad that they were re-homed instead of being eaten by a dog or a raccoon.
    Your coop and run are beautiful and you sould be very proud:thumbsup You may want to throw a tarp over part of the run just so Henny can get out of the weather without going into the coop. Good luck with finding friends for Henny, I'm sure she's lonely and it's nice of you to do that:hugs

4. kristamarie

kristamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks for the thumbs up! I was planning on putting up a clear tarp up around late oct, early november to keep some of the rain/sleet/snow out during the winter. great minds think alike!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by