Chicken Run Covers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by geepers6, Nov 8, 2013.

1. geepers6

geepers6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    I have a 15 by 30 foot chain link chicken run. We live in the northeast and get some pretty nasty windy storms as we are high up. I was wondering what would make the most sense for protecting my 6 hens during the winter. I think some of the top should have a tarp of some kind. I was wondering if anyone has photos of their solutions. I also wonder if we should put some tarps on some of the sides. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I just have wire on the top - large enough so the snow can get through. Last year I had chicken wire on the top, but the snow couldn't filter through enough and made the roof collapse, so now I have 2x4 mesh. I am going to wrap the sides of the run is clear plastic. You could look around at your local hardware store for some, it isn't that expensive. Or, go to the dollar store and look for clear shower curtains. It'll keep the wind off the chickens just the same!

3. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    How do you put ???

Sample
    54 peafowl
    199 turtles
    12 chickens
    and so on
    at the bottom of your pages???

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Ideally a solid roof and one high enough so that you don't have to hunker down works best. This will provide shade in the Summer and keep out most rain and snow (unless it drifts in like the picture below). I have used heavy duty tarps over various kennels over the years and they just don't last. Even they mildew resistant ones often times get mildew. Corrugated metal is terrific but costly so I just use exterior bead board as a roof cover. At 15' wide you may be able to run 4x8 sheets off each side with a slight slope. If you do choose to go the tarp route then be sure to cut drain holes here and there to drain rain pockets and melting snow. Blocking the upwind sides of the run is a good idea to block winds and drifting snow.

15 ft wide run with 4x8 sheets over top.
    [​IMG]

Heavy duty tarps over dog runs. Slits are cut in the tarp for drainage.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  5. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

A simple sloped metal roof would not be hard to construct for that size run. It would cost a bit, but would last a lifetime.... Here is my covered run - measures 12x20. I recently covered the open vertical sides with shower curtains and tarps to block the wind. It makes it very cozy in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Here in the north east also, I used 12ft corrugated clear suntuff roofing from home depot, best thing I ever did keeps the run dry and I wrap the run with clear shower curtains this keeps the snow out and lets sunshine in.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Go to "My Profile" and click on "Edit Signature"

8. geepers6

Jun 29, 2013
    Thank you all for the suggestions and photos. I had never thought of shower curtains to let the sun in. I have no building skills myself but I think can get some help with a roof structure. It will really help in the summer as well. :)

9. geepers6

Jun 29, 2013
    Thanks. Also how did you attach that fine wire to your chain link? Is it fanned out or buried? I have so much to learn!

10. geepers6

Jun 29, 2013
    Question for Jetdog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by