Chicken Run Door. Is Yours an Inny or Outy?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DarkWolf, Apr 28, 2009.

1. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Like the topic says, does your run door open into the pen, or out to the world. Say which way your door swings and why you (if you do) prefer it that way.

2. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    Mines an uppy and downy. (Slider) I have a rope on it so i can open it and shut it from the main door of the coop with out even stepping inside. Gillotine style!!!!!!!!!!! I call it " The Smart Guys Door",,,,,,,,, LOL!!!!!!!!

3. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Not the pop door, mind you.. The door to walk INTO the run... Provided your chicken run is at a height that would indeed allow you to walk into it.. [​IMG]

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    In because that is the way it was hanging(premounted) when I got it.

Out, because that is the way I built it

out because that is the way the coop came

Out because that is the way I built it.

Off because that was the easiest way, I dont plan to go in there often so when I do have to I basicallly remove the wall, its easy to do, not convienient.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Uppy downer slider here... and you open it from the outside of the coop.

I have two... one to my yard and one to the run. I have the one for the run hooked to a line and pully so I can pull it up from outside the run.

6. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    The door into the run opens inward. The thought was that it would keep the chickens from running out when we opened the door. It works pretty well, but we have to clean out the run periodically because it fills with chips from the coop and I like to put leaves in there for the chickens to play around in. I just kick it aside with my foot if it starts to block the door.
    It is also a little difficult to open if we get a lot of snow in the winter, but not impossible.

The chickens are very interested in me and usually gather around the door to see what I am going to feed them next. [​IMG] I think it would be harder to keep them from running out if the door opened out.

7. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    In

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    outy on both coops.

9. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Outy x 3

10. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    Sorry, didn't catch the run part,thought you were refering to the pop door. My RUN door actually opens to the inside and is wide enough to get my wheelbarrow in the run as i'll be hauling misc mulch and compost in and out for my BO's to scratch thru. And yes it is tall enough to walk into.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by