chicken run door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DaKid, Oct 28, 2008.

1. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Ok I leave my run door open all night still as of yet but now it's been getting a bit colder and don't want any drafts but I really don't want to close the doors up at night as of now , is there anytime that other have place over the doors as a sheild for the cool night drafts , can I hang a strip of pieces of materail or plastic as a curtain that they will still go in and out of the coop

do any of ya'll have a set up like this , does it work

Thanks Al.

2. DaKid

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    well I guess no one as this type of set up in use ,I'm just going to have to try it and see if the chickens come in and out of a curtain type place over the run doors let hope it works .

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Let us know how this works. I'd be very curious to know. Good luck!

4. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I think your message got lost in the sea of threads. I've seen posted before some put up plastic sheeting and cut it into stips. To get them used to going in and out they held it open with clothes pins(i think) and then a few days later unpinned it.

5. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I don't have that set up but I have seen in Backyard Poultry magazine where someone put plastic hanging in the opening to the nesting boxes. That might be a good idea. The type of thick plastic similar to the type used in some commercial freezers. With slits cut in it of course. [​IMG]

6. DaKid

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Thanks
    I 'm going to use some heavy canvas conveyor belting which is 5 ft wide .I’ll cut it into 3" strips X the height of the door and hang them from the outside of the coop door , the reason Y I have to place them outside is due to having a slide up/down door inside of the coop on a cable system

I going to do this first thing before I let them out of the coop in the morning ,they will be dieing to get out to eat so that will encourage them to go through it .

I’ll keep you posted on how it works ----or if it works.

Al.

7. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I just put bales of straw on the sides of me pop-hole for a wind block.

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I built a corner wall and placed it in my run to help block the wind. my door faces the west and we get nasty cold Buffalo wind in the winter coming from that way. May have to get a bale of straw....that is an even better idea! I like the plastic too, but I do lock up my pop door at night for added protection in case something gets into the run.

9. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Quote:Good idea. Kind of like the tunnel door to an igloo. My "chicken door" is just large enough for my hulk of a rooster to squeeze through. I bought an old dog house that had a clear vinyl door on it, split in half. I'm going to hang it and see if they will come in & out. Once they get it in their head to do something, they have a one track mind. LOL

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Didn't see this thread earlier. As per a buncha threads last winter there are loads of people on this forum who use strips or sheets as a partial windblock in the pophole doorway. Me, I like the heavy ribbed translucent shelf liner from Walmart, cut into strips that overlap where they're attached; others use feed sacks or all manner of different materials.

It is likely to take a bit of training to get the chickens used to the arrangement, just like dogs and cats typically have to learn how to use a pet flap. You can pin one corner up for a while, gradually letting it down, or you can install strips one at a time, or probably a buncha other arrangements too.

Anyhow, yes people do it [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by