Chicken run/enclosure ground cover? I have a soggy mess from Rain

Veggie4life55

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
West Virginia
This is year three for our chicken coop and enclosure... plus we just expanded our enclosure/run... The run is on a slight slope so everything we put in the enclosure to keep the mud away always gets washed down to the end of the coop. We normally use straw on the ground because they like to dig and peck through it. It mulches up sooner or later and then we can put it on the flowers and garden..

Problem is this year we have gotten a ton of rain and all the straw has turned into a mud soaked nasty mess that I just keep adding to to get them out of the mud. Then there is the added I have already seen 2 ticks this year.. both after touchy the straw bales!

So I have been trying to do research about a more perminit run material and just haven't figured out exactly what to use.

Wood chips, untreated mulch, sand(fungus), pine nuggets (Fungus)..etc... What would be the best ground cover on a slope or what is your experience with different run ground cover ? and what works best for you and why? pro and cons of different ground cover? and if I haven't listed a ground cover you think of please throw it in there...
smile.png

I have been using wood chips in my coop and have used them in the past in an outdoor run. If you put a thick enough layer, they will work for a little while but overall I was unhappy with how quickly they became a mess. I have been reading a good bit on the benefits of using sand as a cover. I have not tried it yet, but I am working on it. For my enclosed coop it looks like it will help with smell, cleaning and flies, but if you put a really good layer it seems like it would help with the mud. (We sand isn't nearly as bad as wet soil/clay/mud!

By the way, there is an extensive post about sand on here somewhere if you want more opinions. I saw it the other day and can't find it now. I also posted something on sand recently but it was more related to an indoor coop so I don't know if it would be of any help. Good luck! Keep us posted, especially if you come up with a good solution!

Last edited:
Yeah I have read alot of good about sand too.. I am just not sure if it would stay were it belongs since I have a slight slope... Plus they love to dig for bugs... will they dig through it and will it make their feet raw...

If anyone has any pictures of sand or different material in their enclosure can you post them? Thanks!

Check out my "fixing a muddy run" page (link in .sig) below for discussion of the pros and cons of different materials to add to the run, plus suggestions for a multi-pronged approach that generally works much better than JUSt dumping something in there.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Come on peoples... I know your out there... Give me your knowledge and idea!
smile.png
lol

Thank you Patandchickens alot of good info and I will def be using some of it!
smile.png
Will bugs live in the sand? I am going to need a whole lot of sand if we do that! and I am glad your info said wait till it is dry because I almost purchased a bunch the other day just hoping to get rid of the mud!

We have be considering drainage pipes so I was also excited to see that on your list of things that will really help...

Thanks again!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom