chicken run height

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ipie68, Oct 29, 2011.

1. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    how high does the chickem run have to be? (Example: 12x8xhow ever high it needs to be) [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It depends on how tall the chicken boss is.........[​IMG]

I like about 6' above the run....so hubby doesn't have to break his back!

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:I agree! A run should be no less than 6" taller than the tallest person that goes into the run for feeding,coop repair etc.

4. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    thank you [​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I agree! A run should be no less than 6" taller than the tallest person that goes into the run for feeding,coop repair etc.

I agree the taller the better, I couldn't imagine choring in a coop/run combo on my hands and knees or bent over. Now what will all the toy coop folks think now, you know the ones with a 2' high set-up that looked so cute in the magizine.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Having the run taller than the tallest person in the household is a good way to put it.

For anything smaller, I like the roof to be hinged, so I can flip it open and still stand up in it. That's what I did with our grow-out tractor. Having to stoop or crawl will suck the joy out of chickens in a hurry.

7. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Mine is six feet high all around ,this is plenty tall for my set up. More height for taller people i guess is ok.

8. ccw2005

ccw2005 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Covington, Georgia
    Hi!

Mine is 16x32 feet, and about 5'10" tall so that it cannot be seen over the privacy fence. Looks real pretty, except I am 6'3" tall and routinely find the need to clonk my head on a 2x4 cross member I use to help keep the chicken wire roof in place.

Just thought I would share [​IMG]

CCW

9. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Mine is 6 foot tall and ironically I am the one, at 5'5" who hits my head on the gate all the time. My 6'1" brother is used to having to duck. I do have short tractors but the top opens on them, so I don't have to crawl. Crawling through chook poop is not nice [​IMG]

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    my run is large and we couldn't afford fencing that high...so I clipped their wings to keep them inside. it works very well. I also string filament across the top with blank or old cd's threaded on it to keep out sky predators. Dogs keep out the ground predators. in almost 5 years, I have never lost one to a predator while in the run. My run fencing is only about 4 1/2 ft tall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by