Chicken run issue

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dirtyhip, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    I gave them a 200 sq ft run. They don't seem to like it. Instead, they want to be out in the other part of the yard that is unsecured. I let them roam in the other area, when I am out there, but it is not secured like their run is.

Why do these girls want to be in the other area, and not where I want them to roam? They will be in their coop, but if I open the main door...they go bolting out to the "other area."

[​IMG]

The only thing I can think is that their run is too shaded. That, or they are like little kids. They want what they can't have. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think the second thought is closer. [​IMG]

Imp- well and greener grass

3. Dirtyhip

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    I used to give them treats in the unsecured area in the morning. Maybe that taught them this area is like totally amazing. Now, I am feeding them in the run more for their morning treats/snacks.

4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I don't know how many girls you have but I have six and their run is around 120 sq. ft. but the love to be out in the yard. For on they can carry on 'chicken fun' to their hearts content. They scratch and peck for worms and bugs, they eat grass, pick throough my compost and garden for garden grubs. If your situation is anything at all like mine then it is little wonder they like the other spot.

5. Dirtyhip

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    We have 4. Their coop is 32 sq ft. + the 200 ft of run.

They just want to be in the larger yard area. Brats!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  6. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    I agree it is a case of the grass being greener...... My girls holler to get out of their coop into their run, and then out of their run into the second run, and now they want to get out of there as well. If I don't open the door to the second run they stand at the gate and Buuurrkkkkk!!!!! until I open the gate, they then spend a few minutes in there after which they go back to the original run, ignoring the second run. If I then shut the gate they line up and start the whole routine over again until I open the gate, at which point they rush into the second run, eat a few blades of grass, dig up a few worms, and then waltz back to where they started! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by