Chicken run question for Arizona

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gillianmomx5, Feb 14, 2009.

1. gillianmomx5

gillianmomx5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Hey all,
    I have learned so much from all of you...my chicks are thankful as well. My question is I found an online site for purchasing the pieces to do canopies. My thought, as our garden/new chicken run is a 20ft by 24ft area and you can buy the pieces to do a "canopy" in that size using EMT rods cut to size. We live in Arizona, so it is more hot in the Phoenix metro area than cold, I could use a tarp to cover 1/2 of the canopy area and bird netting for the remainder. I have the chicken hutches made by Ware for the girls ( I got a total of 4 of them for my 12 chicks). I would also put up chain link panels that are 6ft by 12 ft and then a smaller section to make up the shorter side and gate area. Does this sound reasonable for a coop in the Arizona desert? My hope is to also add some misters along the edge for the hottest part of the summer to keep them cool. Well? I could really use some input. I was also looking at making some roosts with additional pieces of EMT rods. If anyone is from Arizona, I could use some input. Oh, sorry, just had to mention the girls are now two weeks old and doing great. I use one of the chicken hutches as the brooder for them. Wow, they grow so fast!

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I used 80% shade cloth on one of my runs. The other run is half covered with metal roof and half wire. Even with the 80% shade, they still look for full shade on the hottest days. I think you would be better off with wood for your roosts. They won't get enough traction to hang on to the EMT.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I should probably shade my run more.

In the winter they are always out in the run.

In the summer they spend time in the shaded coop.

I have pics of my coop and run on this thread.

Phoenix Coop and Run

4. gillianmomx5

gillianmomx5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Thanks for the quick response. I will definately try to do wood for roosts. I was thinking of wrapping the EMT with something. But I wouldn't have any idea what it could be.

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    For my roost I bought the small diameter (2") wood landscape dowels in the garden center at home depot. Set it up so I would be able to raise them up as the birds got bigger and could fly up higher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by